Monardella macrantha ssp. macrantha
From California Natives Wiki
Species Name: Monardella macrantha ssp. macrantha
Common Name: Scarlet Pennyroyal
- Large red flowers and fragrant foliage distinguish this Monardella. Does best in partial sun with moderate water. Large flowers attract butterflies. Very formal looking, gorgeous perennial. Sensitive roots---plant with care.
- Plant Family: Lamiaceae
- Plant Type: Perennial
- Height by Width: 1' H x 2' W
- Growth Habit: Tufted, spreading
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Evergreen
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Sun Exposure: Part sun to part shade
- Soil Preference: Adaptable
- Water Requirements: Moderate
- Cold Hardy to: 6,000'
- Flower Season: Summer
- Flower Color: Red
- Distribution: Southern Coast Ranges, Transverse Ranges, Peninsular Ranges, Baja, CA
- Natural Habitat: Chaparral, woodland, forest. Elevation: 1,800-6,000'
- Care and Maintenance
- From California Native Plants, Theodore Payne's 1941 catalog: "Grows 5 to 12 inches high from creeping woody rootstocks. Bright scarlet flowers in summer. Requires a mellow soil with some moisture and a little shade. Gallon cans, 50c."
- Other Names