From California Natives Wiki
Species Name: Helenium bigelovii
Common Name: Bigelow's Sneezeweed
- Helenium is a water-loving perennial with an unfortunate common name. It does not cause allergies. Its showy yellow flowers attract butterflies. Good for wet meadow or bog garden.
- Plant Family: Asteraceae
- Plant Type: Perennial
- Height by Width: 1'-3' H
- Growth Habit: Upright
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Semi-deciduous
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Sun Exposure: Full to part sun
- Soil Preference: Adaptable
- Water Requirements: Regular
- Cold Hardy to: 8,000'
- Flower Season: Spring/Summer
- Flower Color: Yellow
- Distribution: North Coast Ranges, Transvese Ranges, Peninsular Ranges
- Natural Habitat: Wet meadows from 5,000'-8,000'
- Care and Maintenance
- Other Names
- Harlow, Nora and Kristin Jakob. Wild Lilies, Irises, and Grasses: gardening with California Monocots. Berkely and Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press. 2003.